Sunday, November 9, 2008

NEW CONTRACT

Well, after six months of arbitration, a plethora of meetings eating up tens of thousands of dollars in wages and expenses, we finally have a contract. It is almost identical to the one we were offered and that we turned down. I personally didn't turn it down, because under our current economic circumstances, I thought it was pretty good. A reasonable wage increase of 9% over 3 years and an increase in our benefits. How can you beat that? I am very thankful I have such a good secure job, that I love doing. We really are taken care of and I believe properly compensated for our work. I feel bad for those in the auto industry that are facing lay offs and termination of employment. I hope they are able to be placed in other jobs or get retrained for something else. If not, we are all going to feel the consequences . The benefits alone, I figure, must be worth at least $10/hr over and above our hourly rate.
The big debate now is should we be made an essential service. I think we all know the real answer to that, even though City counsel voted down ( lost by one vote) approaching the province to ask them for it. I think the fact we were ordered back to work only 1 1/2 days after going on a legal strike, says it all. WE ARE an essential service, or they would not have done that. The reason they are hesitating to make it official, is traditionally, it will cost them much more money to run the service, which they are trying to avoid like the plague. I guess you can't blame them really. It is costing more than they have funding for now. Why should they, when we will just get ordered back to work every time we go on strike. It kind of makes striking redundant. That's OK with me, since I think striking is counter productive in this day and age when we have arbitration already available to us through the current system. I am happy with the outcome.
I'm praying for those men and women who's jobs are in jeopardy, while being very thankful for mine.
One day, the economies of the world are going to fail. That has been prophesied. Those unbelievers who have not been reunited with Jesus in the rapture will be subject to the dictates of a Satan possessed world leader.
That is why my faith is in Christ and not in the security of a job or in a government which are sure to failure.
Ephesians 2: 8-9. " For it is by grace that you have been saved, through faith- and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God- not by works, so that no one can boast."
That is the message I desire to deliver today.
Will you join me and have real security for life?









No comments: